Staff Software Engineer
Want to create software that makes a difference? At the Virtual Heroes Division of Applied Research Associates, our goal is to improve our nation’s safety, security, and way of life. Join us!
We’re looking for dedicated, hard-working software developers with a passion for using modeling and simulation technologies to develop state-of-the-art 3D training applications. You will be a key member of a team that is solving real-world problems for military customers. You will work in an agile team environment on several Research and Development (R&D) projects to develop tools, applications, and processes to support serious games and other 3D simulations. You will serve multiple projects simultaneously, so agility, focus, and communication skills are a must. You must be able to use your knowledge of computer science concepts to solve problems.
Why Work For Us?
- The opportunity to make a real impact. The Virtual Heroes Orlando office has been doing cutting-edge modeling and simulation research for over fifteen years. Everyone who works here is important, from new faces to those who have worked here since the beginning. Your contribution matters—you won’t be just a number!
- Flexible, reasonable hours. We encourage all employees to have a good work/life balance. We do not believe in burning you out! We invest in our people and want you to be happy with us for the long-haul.
- Competitive salaries and outstanding benefits. We provide generous retirement contributions--one of the best packages in the industry. We also provide generous medical, dental, and vision coverage; company-paid life and long-term disability insurance; and annual performance bonuses.
- Candidates selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or similar discipline (Computer Engineering, Physics, Math, Electrical Engineering, etc.) with 2+ years’ experience, or MS degree. Note: If degree isn’t in Computer Science, experience using and knowledge of computer science concepts must be clearly demonstrated
- Equivalent professional experience (8+ years) will be considered for talented candidates without degree
- Strong object-oriented programming skills and demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for using knowledge and skills to solve problems and produce high-quality work
- Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance and build on an existing architecture
- Strong math skills and solid understanding of algorithm design and optimization
- Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously as well as with large and small teams of programmers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preference to applicants with one or more of the following:
- C++ knowledge/experience
- Experience developing training simulations, 3D environments, or serious games
- Experience using modeling and simulation techniques
- Experience writing technical design documentation
- Familiarity with modern 3D rendering techniques (Shaders, Lighting Models, GLSL etc.)
- Experience with DirectX or OpenGL APIs
- Experience developing multiplayer game/training applications
- Experience on mobile platform development (iOS, Android)
- Unreal Engine and/or Unity programming skills
- Knowledge or familiarity with interoperability standards in simulations, e.g., OGC web services
- Experience with Amazon Web 五福彩票计划软件 or other cloud technologies
At Virtual Heroes we create immersive, 3D interactive learning solutions and high-fidelity synthetic virtual environments. As a division of Applied Research Associates (ARA), we work with scientists and engineers of many disciplines and diverse backgrounds to enhance the creativity and innovation of the mission-critical solutions we provide to our customers.
ARA is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems. Founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979, ARA currently employs over 1200 professionals and is rapidly growing. Our culture supports our exceptional staff of valued employees and encourages professional growth through continued higher education, participation and publication at technical conferences, and membership in professional organizations. As an ARA employee you are encouraged to generate new ideas and bring those ideas to life. ARA offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including stock ownership, medical and dental coverage, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) profit-sharing plan, and annual bonuses. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at .